Friday, May 27, 2011

My First Quiche!

A couple of days ago I made my first quiche. It was truly amaaaaazing! Would make a good breakfast quiche, great for company! My husband even liked it. (THAT says something, as he will eat almost anything, but is picky about what he "likes" if that makes sense)

To start off, I will post the recipe exactly how it is from my cookbook. (I changed it and will make note of it at the bottom)

Ingredients:
3 eggs, beaten
1 c. whipping cream (I didn't know there are different types of whipping cream so I went all out and bought heavy whipping cream)
1 c. shredded Cheddar cheese
1 c. ground beef, browned
9 inch pie crust (homemade or premade)

Directions:
Mix eggs, cream, cheese, and beef together; spread into pie crust. bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes, lower oven temp to 350 degrees and bake for another 15 minutes.

How I changed it:
Instead of using ground beef, I did beef sausage and cooked it like ground beef. (The sausage added more flavor and spices). Also, I added a little more meat and cheese than it called for. You can't go wrong with that! When it was all mixed in the pie pan I sprinkled cheese on top for esthetics.

I did take it out of the oven 3-4 minutes early as it looked done and the crust was getting dark. (I'm glad I did do this, as it was done, very done)

I am not a perfect mom and I did use a pre-made pie crust. I read the ingredients in the crust (after making it) and well, yeah, I'd suggest a homemade one. I do have a killer recipe for a homemade crust (it just takes awhile) so that might be something to try. The ready to go ones though cut out a lot of time. =)

I think Quiche is something that we will eat more often. Maybe experimenting with meat and veggies....and substituting whole milk instead of whipping cream? That cream is soooo fattening.

Food for thought. (no pun intended)

I did take pictures, but my husband isn't here and I have a terrible time uploading them to blogger, getting them into the right spots on my post, not on the top, and shrinking the pictures so they upload faster. I have a mac, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I hope everyone has a safe Memorial Day weekend.

2 comments:

  1. (I think my comment got lost, lol!!!)
    Hey Melissa! It's ambs_LS from xanga. I wondered what had happened to you, so I am so glad to be able to follow you here. Hope all is well with you and your adorable family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww thanks! I'll be following you now! I took a long break from blogging and now hope to get back in to it and be more "purposeful" if that makes sense?!?

    ReplyDelete