Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Homeschool 2013-2014 {review of the year}

2013-2014 was our first year of doing any type of real "homeschooling".  And by schooling, I use that term very loosely.  I bought a "box curriculum" and we did it when it was convenient.  We had a loose schedule, and at age 4.....I didn't push it.  (or 3 when she actually started) I'm going to list what we did, and my thoughts.  This is so I can look back on it and judge what to do for the next child at this age (it will probably be totally different with different personalities) but also maybe you are curious for your preschooler of different options.

1) Little Hands to Heaven by Heart of Dakota


 The book says for ages 2-5.  During this school year my oldest was 3 1/2 and turned 4 January 1st.  Just to give you an idea.  It gives you different options of Bibles, use your own or choose from different kid Bibles.  I purchased New Bible in Pictures for Little Eyes.  That was the perfect Bible to use and we still use it.  It also recommends purchasing a letter book, out of the 3 options I choose Big Thoughts for Little People.  Love it, that was a great pick.  Natalie loves the fingerplay exercises to help learn the letters and their meaning.  I really enjoy their devotions and how it weaves the Bible into all subjects.  I like their art projects.  (I am art stupid)

Cons: It has a LOT of "dramatic play" acting out the Bible story.  Natalie just isn't into that.  So we skipped it.  I also did not like the music it came with. Natalie had a hard time catching onto the words.  However, I teach music at a Homeschoolers Academy and I use the CD frequently with my 6/7 and 8/9 classes.  Seems more appropriate and easier for them.

It is lacking in fine motor skills for Natalie.  I had to supplement.  It also does not have "strong" writing lessons, very basic.  So once again, I had to supplement.

Final thoughts: This is a great program.  I'm glad I purchased it.  I had to do more "beefing up" than I wanted to.  For my next kiddo, she's about to turn 2.  I will wait until the school year where she is 3 and start this with her.  She will be 3 the entire school year and I think this will suit her perfectly.


2. A, B, C, D, books by Rod and Staff  I


If there is anything that I did right this year, it is these very simple but awesome work books.  And seriously, all these books for less than $10?!?!  You can't go wrong.  This was a huge hit with Natalie, and we are almost done with them.  If anything...I would say this is my "must have" books for preschool if your child likes workbooks.  (mine does!) We plan to continue in these books for another year, just the next series of them.

Final thoughts: Get it...these are great and you can't beat the price!

3. My First book of Upper Letters by Kummon


We started this book this summer.  I bought the lower case books as well.  While I don't think a 4 year old has to know how to write, mine does so why stop her.  I came across these work books at Barnes N Noble.  Once again, my kid is a "work book" kid, and many kids aren't.  Find what works for you.  She really enjoys this book and I have seen an improvement in her writing and fine motor skills.  I really don't know "how" to teach writing.  There's lots of resources and different methods.

Final thoughts: I like it, it is working...but I don't know a lot about teaching handwriting so I don't know how it compares to different methods/books/etc.

Final thoughts on the year?  Overall good.  Having a baby mid Spring semester threw us off.  But I'm not too concerned.  This fall we will be starting a different curriculum and she will be doing "K4".  Whatever you want to interpret that as.  I view it as, more than preschool, but simplified kindergarten?

1 comment:

  1. I have some "workbook kids" as well. Often they just want to color across the pages, but really that's fine with me! We have the Uppercase book too. That one has been a lot of fun in our family. We also have the book Leading Little Ones to God and I LOVE it! It is interactive and explains things in such a simple way so as to allow small children to understand. :)

    ReplyDelete